Wednesday, July 1, 2015

THE FIGHT

I sat in front of the pier, a group of homeless men of varying ages...early 20's to late 60's sat to my left. I silently prayed over them as my worship music loudly played. Another older homeless man with long gray, straggly hair pulled up on his bike, a worn cart attached to the back with a dog inside. He began screaming at a one of the younger homeless men...who in turn responded by yelling and charging towards him. They seemed to know each other and have some kind of long standing rift. Their anger began to escalate as they stood face to face just a few inches apart, taunting each other to throw the first punch while name calling.

I've never been one to just sit back and let things happen around me without trying to intervene. I quickly turned my bike around and pulled up next to them and shouted, " Stop it! Knock it off!" I repeated it several times, my music continue to blare, as I prayed that it would not escalate. They were oblivious to me or anything I was saying to them. But I continued to try, "Stop it! Calm down...don't do this!"

Finally a friend of the younger homeless man stepped in and pulled him away before either man threw a punch.

ANGER.

It can grip so hard and drag us in past the point of reason.

As I road away I thought about all the times in my life I've let anger get me to a point of really hurting people. I've said terrible things. I've lashed out trying to hurt people who I felt wronged me or my family. But then JESUS stepped into my life and filled my heart.

Don't get me wrong, I still get angry, but my reactions are much more controlled than before. I know how to diffuse it by running to The LORD. The enemy can use anger to control people. He hardens hearts and blinds eyes. He breaks up families and friendships.

Today if you find yourself held in angers grip, steal away to a quiet place, pray, ask The LORD to reveal truth, peace and His love over the situation. Never forget that JESUS makes ALL things new. Don't be deceived, don't stay captive in anger. JESUS has called you and I for more. Let His love seep into those hardened, hurting places. Let go. 
"Do not hasten in your spirit to be angry,
for anger rests in the bosom of fools."~Ecclesiastes 7:9


"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God."~James 1:19-20

"For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith." Romans 12:3

No comments:

Post a Comment