Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Why Worry?

By: Lisa Petrarca

Recently I was thinking back on all the times in my life that I've worried. So many things that I've spent hours, weeks, months, and even years thinking about. Trying to figure out how I might fix each and every situation. I even thought of ways that I could get out of problems that I might face in the future. It was overwhelming to my senses, putting my feelings and emotions on high alert. The worry consumed my day, each nerve exposed, living on the surface, exploding time and time again throughout my daily activities. It wouldn't take much to send me into a frenzy. If I wasn't worrying about my life, then I worried about other people.

Worry became a Badge of Honor. I was strategizing and preparing for whatever was thrown at me so I would never be caught off guard. Worrying about others made me feel like a caring and good friend. I was trapped behind this false pretense.

Worry is a trap, a trick of the enemy. It keeps our minds so busy and overwhelmed that we can see nothing but the problems. We forget to pray and turn EVERYTHING over to the Lord and let Him handle it. We forget to trust and have faith that He will never leave us nor forsake us. He has given us a promise, all we have to do is LET GO. It is scary, but you've tried handling things yourself and you continue to feel stress, anxiety, disappointment and fear. LET GO, turn every single care and worry over to the Lord. You will find peace in every area of your life, no matter how difficult the situation. He is waiting and asking, "Why worry, I'm here to help you, let Me carry your burdens."

Rejoice in the Lord always, again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:4-7

2 comments:

  1. I so agree with this; it can consume you, eat you up til you're an empty shell. Worry has to be shaken off and dropped...run away screaming! Great post! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Helen. Worry is such a HUGE part of everyone's life. The transformation that God can do in this area is indescribable. To have peace in the midst of the storms...FREEDOM!

    ReplyDelete