Wednesday, June 3, 2015

SHOULD I JUMP? OVERCOMING FEAR

I've always been afraid of heights. For years I had dreams of falling. As a young girl I tried to overcome it by climbing the ladder to the high dive at the Elk's Lodge on summer vacation. Slowly inching my way up behind the line of brave kids, hands gripping tightly to the sides of the ladder. I took one shaky step at a time, glancing back every so often to see how high I was. 

One by one they reached the top, walking boldly to the ledge, fearlessly jumping or diving. As my turn approached, I looked down for an escape route, I was met by black, brown, blonde, and red hair...a road block. Kids were lined up below me on every step, extending from the ladder to the ground and around the pool. I could only move forward. My heart was pounding. I carefully walked out onto the shaky board, leaning slowly over to look at the water far below.

"GO! JUMP! HURRY UP!" The kids behind me were growing impatient.

I backed up, hoping to run and just do it. But I froze, fear kept me firmly planted, unable to move forward or jump. Peer pressure behind me, the unknown in front of me. So what did I do?

I walked straight at the kids and yelled..."Everyone's going to have to climb down because I'm not going to jump!"

I was met with anger and yelling. I sat down on the diving board, letting them know I was serious. One by one they began to scream at the kids behind them to climb down. 

Fear had won that day.

It was a lesson I've never forgotten. Fear can lead you backwards. It can keep you from all that God has for your life. There's all kinds of fear: fear of change, fear of the unknown, fear of decisions, fear of loss, fear of failure, fear of success, fear of judgement...it's never ending. 

As WE CHOOSE to seek THE LORD daily, allowing HIS truth to permeate into every fiber of our being, fear gives way to trust. We're able to take steps forward down the path HE'S leading, calling, guiding, clearing, opening...for us. Each day as WE CHOOSE to spend time not only praying and reading the Scriptures, but actually sitting QUIETLY, LISTENING, THE LORD meets and fills the emptiness in the quiet. HE reveals HIS LOVE. HE restores all that this world has tried to weigh us down with. TRUTH. JESUS CHRIST has come to set captives free. Once feeble steps in HIS direction give way to bolder, stronger, fearless steps of Faith. HE has come to give us more!

Today, stop talking, slow down, listen. In the quiet HE will meet you. Dispelling all worry and fear. Today, choose more of HIM and less of the noise and lies of this world. JESUS has a good and perfect plan for you. Seek HIM in the quiet, HE'S waiting. 

"Wait on the Lord;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the Lord!"~ Psalm 27:17


"Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lordbut the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, butthe Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice."~1 Kings 19:11-12

JESUS SETS AN EXAMPLE
"Now in the morning, having risen a long while before daylight, He went out and departed to a solitary place; and there He prayed. And Simon and those who were with Him searched for Him. When they found Him, they said to Him, “Everyone is looking for You.”~Mark 1:35-36

No comments:

Post a Comment