Thursday, October 30, 2014

Are You Stuck In Life's Riptide?

"C'mon! Get in here!" We stood at the waters edge yelling, waving our arms. My son and nephew were deep in the big waves...too far out for inexperienced 12 & 14 year old boys. Worry began to flood. I noticed with each crashing wave, every paddle and kick, they still seemed to be heading deeper and deeper out into the ocean. They were caught in a riptide. The rules of escape need to be taught. I'd told my son but maybe not enough. My young nephew had no idea being from Utah and not familiar with ocean dangers. 

My brother & I continued to yell. I motioned for them to paddle horizontal to the shoreline to help them get out of the riptide and come in. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be getting through  to them, they continued trying to swim against the ocean force. I knew that we may have to both jump in and save them.


Finally, a large wave broke through pushing them close enough to touch. 

The spray of the ocean across my face matched the refreshing relief in my heart. Sigh. 

That quick!


In a moment things can turn from fun to danger.


When life choices take us out into deep water; when you seem to be swimming and getting nowhere, heading deeper and deeper into a dangerous place...grab hold of your safety net. Reach out for the Lord's outstretched hand. He's yelling, "C'mon! Get in here! Let Me help you. Let me save you from drowning. Take my hand and walk with me."


Like the escape route of a riptide requires following the shoreline until you're safely out of harms way; our walk with Jesus is the same. When we choose to look to Him, to follow Him, we find ourselves safely out of the danger of our poor decisions. Washed clean. Restored. Made brand new in Christ's image, through His sacrifice.


Don't think you're too far gone. He has come to save YOU. He loves YOU. He wants to help YOU. He wants to guide you back to a safe and secure place...HIS LOVE.


Don't continue to swim against life's riptides hoping you'll eventually reach the shore. You're not designed to go this journey alone. That emptiness...that thing in your life that you're constantly trying to fill with (FILL IN THE BLANK) (drugs, alcohol, sex, lying, cheating, pride, stealing, hurting, unforgiveness)...whatever your space is, it can only be filled with the love of Jesus. Look to your Savior, Jesus Christ. He is the lifeguard of your life. Call to Him...HE WILL RESCUE YOU!  


"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort those who are in any trouble, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.." 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

"The Lord has appeared of old to me, saying: “Yes, I have loved you with an everlasting love; Therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you." 
Jeremiah 31:3

"If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love. “These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full." 
John 15:10-11

"You will show me the path of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; At Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." 
Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment