Sunday, June 13, 2010

He Wasn't Afraid

Pictures & Story By: Lisa Petrarca


Once you become more diligent in prayer, your desire to read the scriptures and understand Gods word becomes stronger. The things that used to be important are no longer the main focus. Your transformation starts to take place.

Standing stoically, alone in the middle of the Huntington Beach pier was one man, holding a large wooden cross, stretched high above his head, reaching towards the sky. On the cross was carved, "Jesus, Lamb, God my Redeemer, Grace, Wonder working power."

He was handing out a paper with a Bible verse to all who walked by. He was one man, standing alone in a sea of people. Standing for faith, for Jesus Christ, Proclaiming the life saving message to anyone willing to reach out their hand and take what he offered.


As always, there were those who scoffed at him, laughed and thought he was crazy. The man didn't seem to mind, actually, he didn't seem to notice those who were taunting him. He was standing for the Lord.


In the United States, people are afraid to talk about our Lord & Savior Jesus Christ, they're afraid of being ridiculed. In other countries people are actually getting killed for their faith.

How deep are you willing to go?

Are you willing to stand up for what you believe in, even if it means others will laugh at you, think you're crazy or, as in other countries, seek to take your life? Are you willing to stand alone in a sea of people? When everyone around you is living for themselves, are you willing to deny yourself, take up your cross, (whatever the Lord has put on your heart) and stand alone for Jesus Christ?

In our human nature, this would be impossible, but when we have been filled with the gift of the Holy Spirit, we can stand up, stand out, face our adversaries, knowing that we have a purpose. Go deeper in your prayer life, pray throughout the day, let go and let God take control.

As I walked back by the man, I noticed a peace, marked with a complete love for his Savior. He stood for Jesus Christ, whom so many years ago sacrificed himself for him.

Are you willing to stand?


But the Lord said to me, "Do not say, "I am only a child." You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you. Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you," declares the Lord. Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth and said to me, "Now, I have put my words in your mouth.
Jeremiah 1:7-9


To whom can I speak and give warning? Who will listen to me? their ears are closed so they cannot hear. The word of the Lord is offensive to them; they find no pleasure in it. But I am full of the wrath of the Lord, and I cannot hold it in.
Jeremiah 6:10-11

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. It seems I need all the help I can get at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this wonderful post. This caught my eye in the google reader and I knew I had to comment. What a brave man!

    ReplyDelete