Thursday, October 11, 2012

A WHALE OF A TRUE STORY!


"What's that?" I shouted pointing out at the ocean!

Let me back up and preface what I stumbled upon before I get into my incredible story...

I'd had a rough week, nothing seemed to go right and I was looking forward to the Labor Day holiday. My hubby and I headed to Balboa, stopped and grabbed a quick bite to eat and then headed to find a spot on a less crowded beach. I needed some serious relax and unwind time. I needed to get my thoughts and emotions under control. 

We found a spot all by ourselves and sat down to enjoy the waves crashing in front of us. The next thing I know, we were surrounded in a semi-circle by seagulls...both sides and behind us, leaving only the ocean view in front of us open. It seemed very odd because we had no food with us at all. I looked up and down the beach and they were only around us. I know that this would probably irritate most people but I've had so many amazing experiences with birds lately that it only serves to remind me of the scripture in Matthew 6:26 "Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?"
Young kids would periodically run up to chase the birds and they'd fly away only to return moments later. They sat quietly, not disturbing us at all just standing around us. My hubby also found this incredibly odd. I proceeded to tell him, "Maybe it's just God's way of reminding us that He's got us in the palm of His hand and we have nothing to worry about. He's taking care of these birds...how much more are we worth to Him?" We continued to sit silently as the waves billowed up, forming a turquoise tube before crumbling onto the shore. 
Now back to where I started this story...all of a sudden I see something dark and long pop up out of the water right next to the shore. "Did you see that? It was really big with barnacles!" I shouted in excitement.
It raised up again and we could tell it was a baby calf (Grey whale). It was so close to us that when the wave closest to the shore formed we could see his entire outline. 
I was so amazed, I jumped up and started following it down the shoreline, capturing pictures and video on my phone. A large crowd had now also noticed, along with a lady who had been called down from the Marine Safety Department who was also walking along following it. She said she had never seen a whale so close to shore. She had been following it for miles as it continued to head south up the shoreline. I followed the whale for a while continually snapping pictures before I realized I was pretty far away and reluctantly turned back. 

Then something incredible happened. I had walked about 50 feet back when all of a sudden I noticed the baby whale who had been traveling south for several miles had turned around with me. I looked out at the ocean to see it's head pop up and there we were, just the two of us alone staring at each other.
He ducked under as his small spout shot water up into the air before resurfacing to look at me again. 
(I later did research and found out it is called whale spying, they actually poke their head out to look at their surroundings.) 
I was in awe. I was speechless. It was a moment...an unforgettable, special experience where I couldn't help but stand there and thank God for His incredible creation. I thanked Him for His hand in my life and for this time of awesome wonder...me and the whale. I found myself fighting back tears. It was a feeling of knowing. God...yes...God had His hand on me, the whale, the birds, the sea and the entire situation. 
The whale then swam off and went back out into the ocean past the pier
There is nothing too big, too difficult, too impossible, too outrageous for God to accomplish. He brought a whale to the shore for heaven's sake. The Lord is always right there with each one of us. 

Today, if you are struggling with a burden, a weight, a sorrow, a loss, an addiction, a lack of faith or trust in anyone or anything...please stop and pray right now. Ask the Lord to come into your life, situation, heart and mind. Ask Him to show you the unconditional love of Jesus Christ. Ask for forgiveness, healing and a renewed mind and heart. He is waiting to step into your situation and your life "so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." Ephesians 3:17-19



No comments:

Post a Comment