Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Should I?


I walked around, hoping the nagging feeling would disappear. I called my husband, "So what do you think? Should I do it?" He wasn't going to give me the answer I wanted, he just said, "It's your decision. If you feel good about it, do it." My head was screaming, "NO...I want you to say yes, go ahead...it'll be fine." But what I said was, "C'mon, tell me what I should do, is it okay?"

Nope, nothing. He said I had to decide and I already knew how he felt about it. GREAT! I wandered around the store for another hour, walking by the item, walking away from the item, by it, away from it...waiting to feel good about it. While, "No, don't do it," played like a broken record in my mind.

I spent time justifying why it was okay to purchase it. If the item was for me, I wouldn't have any problem walking away (I don't feel the need to buy myself things very often & am fine going without the extras.) But this was for my son. It was a birthday present he's wanted for years. Truth be told, it's a Christmas/Birthday present he's been asking for; for the past 5 years. But we never have an extra $300.00 for a PS3. I wanted to get it for him, so badly, but knew it would put us in a hole. Finally, unable to rid myself of that "feeling" as I circled around one last time, there it was again...I tried to push it away, only to continue to feel increasingly uneasy in my stomach. That was it...I walked out of the store. I didn't have a peace about it and I've definitely learned the importance of listening to the promptings of the Lord; even in the little everyday things like whether to buy something or not. It took some time to get through my own rationalization process and actually make the right decision, but once out of the store, my peace returned.

Today, if you feel the Lord prompting you to walk away from temptation, purchases, a lifestyle, certain decisions, addictions...LISTEN. He has a good and perfect plan for you. Listening to the Holy Spirit's guidance is not only wise, but will save you from future detrimental consequences. Be willing to deny yourself momentary pleasure to find true, lasting, pure happiness. Pray in all things, all decisions and all areas of your life. Let the Lord guide you into all truth...His Wisdom! In doing so, you'll find a Peace like you've never known before. Don't continue to ignore His promptings. God wants the best for you and is trying to guide you in the right direction. Yes, even the little areas!

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not." 
Jeremiah 33:3

"Grace be with you, mercy, and peace, from God the Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love." 
2 John 1:3

"Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding." 
Proverbs 3:5

"Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?" 
1 Corinthians 3:16

"But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you."
Romans 8:11



No comments:

Post a Comment