Friday, June 10, 2011

Why Is This Happening To Me?


How many times in your life do you ask the Lord, "Why is this happening? I'm a good person, I try to do what's right. I just don't understand why you're not blessing me Lord? Why do I continually go through struggles and trials?

I know I've felt this way. When I began to dig in deep, reading the scriptures daily, praying throughout the day, in all situations...more things were thrown at me. This seemed so unfair, especially when I truly felt that I'd turned my life around and was seeking my Heavenly Father's will daily.

Then I began reading about Joseph. When he was young, he told his older brothers that he had a dream and they would one day bow down to him. As you can imagine, this didn't go over too well. So they threw him into a pit to die, but then had a change of heart and sold him into slavery. They told their father, Jacob (Israel), that he'd died. Joseph however continued to trust in the Lord during his trials. He was given favor as a slave. But his master's wife continued to make passes at him. When he refused, she told her husband that Joseph had come after her to bring shame on her. The master had him thrown into prison for years. All the while Joseph continued to trust in the Lord.

Can you imagine? Our trials are nothing compared to Joseph's, and yet so often, we are ready to give up in the face of them and even get angry with God.

But Joseph trusted in what the Lord had promised him. He eventually became head over all of Egypt, just under the Pharaoh. Joseph was directed by God to save food during their 7 years of prosper, which eventually sustained them when the famine came. Years later, his brothers eventually came to Egypt, seeking food and bowed down before him, just as the Lord had promised Joseph in his youth. When they apologized, Joseph said, "And now, do not be distressed and do not be angry with yourselves for selling me here, because it was to save lives that God sent me ahead of you." Genesis 45:5
Joseph didn't know God's complete and total plan during his hardships. Just as we don't understand why things are happening to us. But Joseph did know that God had a plan for his life. He wasn't given the complete picture, he couldn't understand what was going on, but I'm sure during those difficult times, God was working out some character flaws, some pride issues, just as He's doing with all of us.

Don't quit, don't give up before you see the glory of all that the Lord has promised you through His living word. He's given us many examples. Most importantly, sacrificing His Son, Jesus Christ, so that we can be free from our sins to fulfill our purpose. Today, in the face of your trials, remember the Lord promises, "So is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it." Isaiah 55:11

No comments:

Post a Comment