Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Hungry? Eat This Life Giving Bread


While reading John 6:35-51, I thought about how the people of Jesus' time were listening to Him talk about how He is the bread of life, sent down by the Father. He goes on to tell them that anyone who eats of this bread will live forever. "This bread is my flesh which I will give for the life of this world."

At that time, Jesus knew that He would be giving His life for all of us to be saved and raised again on the third day, however, no one else knew this. I can't imagine what they were thinking? I'm sure many thought He was crazy. As they argued, "How can this man give us His flesh to eat." They were looking at the literal meaning of His words.

Jesus goes further saying, "Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood you have no life in you." (Read John 6:53-59) Even the disciples, His faithful, trusting followers had a hard time with this, saying, "This is hard teaching, who can accept it?" (John 6:60)

Jesus was aware of His disciples grumbling and said, "Does this offend you? What if you see the Son of Man ascend to where He was before! The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you are Spirit and they are life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe." (John 6:61-64)

Jesus knew which of His disciples did not believe and who would betray Him. Hearing this particular message would be difficult for anyone to truly understand. Many of His disciples turned from Him at that time, but the twelve did not.

Jesus went on to say, "This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father enables Him."

This new year, let's re-commit our lives to getting to know the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. Pray daily and read the word so that the Father will enable you to see the truth on a deeper level. There is so much waiting for you. So much more the Lord has for you this coming year. He wants you to seek Him on a more intimate level. He wants to speak life into you. Feed your hurting, broken soul with the life giving, 'flesh and blood' of Jesus Christ. Eat of His bread this coming year and let the Lord fill you up so that you will no longer be hungry.

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up: do you not perceive it?" Isaiah 43:18-19

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment