Thursday, December 30, 2010

See What's In the Box


story by: Lisa Petrarca

She walked into the dismal, smelly building, she was on a mission and hardly seemed to notice. The warm paper, carefully resting in her hand. Moving quickly down the hallway, the gold bow shimmered as the light reflected on it.

Last week Mrs. Shoney took the entire class to visit the "old persons" home. Kallie was afraid at first but then realized that these were grandparents, they were lonely and seemed to cheer up as the class entered the room. Everyone except the gray haired man who sat alone in a chair staring out the window, he never joined the group.

Kallie couldn't get him out of her mind. That night she went home, grabbed her kit and began to make him a present. She rushed home from school everyday to work on it.

Her mother asked, "What are you making that's so important?" "My friend is lonely and sad, I need to give him a present," Kallie replied. "What friend?" her mother further prodded. "The gray haired man, at the old persons home. I need to give him something he needs," Kallie said.

A few days before Christmas, Kallie's mom took her to deliver her present. Looking carefully into each room she finally spotted him at the very end of the hall. He was sitting watching the rain drops hit the window. Kallie ran in and shouted excitedly, "Mr., Mr., I have a present for you!" He slowly turned, the tears in his eyes looked like the rain drops sliding down the window. She said, "Are you okay Mr.? I brought something for you to cheer you up, something your missing." "I'm sorry little girl, but what I'm missing is gone forever and I'll never get her back," he muttered.

She walked towards him, slowly opening her hand she gave him the small box. He unwrapped it, sitting inside was a crotchet heart with a picture of Jesus. The man began to cry and said, "Years ago my wife made a heart exactly like this for our Christmas tree and put it up each year. The last Christmas she was with me, she couldn't find it. She was so ill and said she needed it up, she needed to see Jesus' face. I searched through all the boxes and never found it. She passed away the day after Christmas. Thank you for showing me that I'm not alone."

Rest for the Weary

At that time Jesus said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure."
Matthew 11:25-26

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden
is light."
Matthew 11:28-30

1 comment: