Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Trapped in a Raging River

story by: lisa petrarca


Billy was a young freckled face, precarious, adventure seeking boy of 12. He lived in the beautiful, lush state of Montana and enjoyed hiking and fishing. One warm spring morning he headed out to fly fish in the river not far from his home. As he came upon his favorite spot, he noticed that the river was swollen from a rain storm that had hit a few days prior. It was racing, swiftly winding around the bend with amazing speed and force.

He stood at the edge, dressed in his chest high fishing waders, contemplating if he should attempt it. His father always warned him not to go in after a rain storm until he knew it was safe and the water had slowed down. His mind began to rationalize, "It'll be okay, I know this river and besides I'm a strong swimmer." He pushed aside the nagging feeling that this was a bad idea and stepped cautiously into the white capped water.

Two steps in and he was sucked under. He popped up for a minute, gasped for air and was tossed, thrashed and flipped back down. His suspender caught on something & held him down. He frantically tried to free himself, all he could think of was, "I need air." As he started to suck water into his lungs he prayed, "Please Lord, save me. Please help me, I'm drowning, I need you." He was immediately yanked up, someone's hand lifted him out of the water pulling him onto the embankment. He coughed, gasped, and looked around for the person who saved him. Two men were running toward him shouting, "You okay kid?" We thought you were a goner." Billy stammered, "D d did you save me?" Unable to comprehend how these two men could've pulled him out from around the bend.

"Naw, you were just lucky," they replied.

"No, really someone grabbed my hand and pulled me," he replied.

"No kid, there's no one around but us, the force of water must have catapulted you to the shore."

That's when Billy realized that the Lord had heard and answered his prayers. He looked at the men and said, "I prayed and God answered, he reached into the water and set me free."


We go about each day, never having enough time for God. We face difficulties and struggles in our lives, but we can have Jesus as our lifeguard, He is our Savior.

Why do we think we can head out on our journey alone? The Lord knows the way you are going. He knows the obstacles you will face. He has the tools to get you there safely. Don't head out today on your own - let God be your guide, He's the expert. If you feel like you're drowning, cry out to the Lord and know that He will hear you. He can be found through prayer and scripture study.


Psalms 20
1
- May the Lord answer you when you are in distress; may the name of the God of Jacob protect you. 6- Now I know that the Lord saves his anointed; he answers him from his holy heaven with the saving power of his right hand. Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God.

Psalms 25
4, 5- Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful story and post Lisa!

    How easy it is to wander out and get ourselves into trouble on our own. A perfect reminder for me.

    Thank you for stopping by Heart Choices. I hope you had a great Thanksgiving with your family. I started working full time recently so my online time has decreased but I miss my blogging friends, including you. I hope to catch up on the weekends and I do have two weeks off for Christmas; woo hoo.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete