Wednesday, November 28, 2012

When Everything Goes Wrong!

I went to my usual place overlooking the ocean at lunch to unwind and write. As I sat my chair down I heard swearing and yelling. There was a young girl sitting on a bench that overlooked the ocean. She was on the phone. At first I thought she was mad but after a short time, I realized she just yells when she talks. I sat there trying to think of something to write about but all I could hear was her. I waited for a few minutes before I finally had to get up and walk further down the bluffs to try to get away from the yelling.

I found a spot a little further up the grass, it had a limited ocean view but was situated far enough away from the girl and not too close to a man who was also relaxing in a chair. Just as I sat down to begin my writing, the man who had been quietly looking out at the ocean got on his phone and seemed to also have a mega phone voice! Then the girl who was quite a ways away took it to another level and screamed, "I don't know what's going on! You need to talk louder I can't hear you!" It was like I had a stereo turned up with both speakers working too good! Just when I thought, "Is this a joke?" A man in front of me who had been working at the ocean front home turned on his leaf blower, the loud humming joined in with the yelling along with blowing dirt and leaves into the air around me. I could do nothing but laugh at that point. It was full surround sound...keeping me from any thought forming in my head other than, "My perfect lunch time is ruined!"

No, things weren't perfect; I was irritated and stuck in the middle of it! Just as my alarm went off signaling my lunch was over, the yelling girl, still on her phone, walked toward me and her car to leave. "Oh perfect timing I thought...NOW she's leaving! It's funny how life is usually like that and we fall victim to our "perfect plans," usually falling short. Even though it happens time and time again, we still allow ourselves to get upset and angry.

I stood up and reluctantly packed up my things; turning just in time to see an elderly lady shuffling along the sidewalk. I smiled at her, she said, "Beautiful day out isn't it?" "Yes it is," I agreed, as I looked out at the ocean. With that, Jean Rees came over and began talking to me. She told me about her life and her travels. She had worked at the library for years to keep her mind sharp. She also volunteered at the local theater up the hill in Newport as a treasurer. I knew I was going to be late getting back to work but I couldn't find it in my heart to excuse myself. She told me about her niece who was just diagnosed with breast cancer. I asked her name, "Julia," she replied. I told her I'd add her to the weekly prayer request I send out. With that she excitedly said she went to a church up the street and she wanted me to know that recently she put a couple of people on their prayer request. The first one was a lady diagnosed with Alzheimer's at the age of 40, but miraculously after prayer, the doctors said it was a "misdiagnosis." Then she added a boy who had leukemia. He was treated and it didn't work, they gave him no hope. But after he was put on the prayer list, they put him on a trial medication and was cured. With a steady, knowing look...she said, "You can never have too many people praying for you." We walked slowly together across the street. Just before I turned to head to my car and she began to head up the inclined street to her home, I stopped, smiled, touched her shoulder and said, "It was so nice meeting you Jean, we'll be praying for Julia...prayer is powerful!" "Thank you," she said with a twinkle in her eye, "It is."

I took a few steps and then decided that I wanted to get a picture of my new friend for my story. As I rounded the corner, I looked to where she should have been because of her slow shuffle, she couldn't have gone very far but she was nowhere in sight. I walked a little further toward the curb to see past a couple of cars...nothing. Wow, that's weird I thought, where could she have gone? I quickly got into my car and turned around to look again as I passed the street and the alley. Nothing. I thought, smiling to myself, "Well Jean either lives in the mansion on the corner or she's an angel." You can bet I'm going to be looking for her next Monday!

Either way, my day had purpose. I now had someone who needed prayer. We need to be willing to look for the opportunities the Lord puts in front of us each day? Can you still look for the good in your day when everything seems to be going wrong? It wasn't my "perfect day" but the Lord always has a plan and His plans are always perfect. He has a purpose for you each day. Seek His will and not your own today!

"Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:4

"Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

"Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path." Psalm 119:105

"You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word." Psalm 119:114

"My heart says of you, “Seek his face!” Your face, Lord, I will seek." Psalm 27:8




 

No comments:

Post a Comment