Monday, April 4, 2011

Do You Play The Blame Game?


It was the big day, I took my son to school early, visited with people for a few minutes, then headed home. He wasn't presenting until 10:30, and it was only 8:30, plenty of time to do a Bible study/devotional message and get back before the big presentation started. Time flew by, at 10:00, I noticed my hair had gone flat and frizzy from the early morning beach air. I decided to re-curl it (thinking I still had plenty of time.) We arrived at the school by 10:25, but...the door to my sons presentation room was shut. We were not allowed to go in!

The kids, blocking the closed door, informed us that they were running ahead of schedule and decided to send them in early. I was so angry! My son had been working on this business project for months. I didn't hide the fact that I was upset, (as the tears threatened to pour down my cheeks,) I stood at the door, face pressed close to the tiny glass window, watching my son, in his black suit, standing handsomely in front of the judges, calmly portraying confidence and poise, as he presented the groups closing remarks and answered several questions.

I wanted to bust through that door and dare those kids to try and stop me!

But I didn't, I just stood there, seething with anger and frustration, blaming the kids for allowing it to start early, as they singled out the boy, who was the master mind behind the sabotage to keep me out. His face was red, as he tried to explain what happened and why he let them go early.

LET THE BLAME GAME BEGIN!

Who's fault was it? Did it change the fact that I wasn't there to support my son? Did it change the fact that "I" chose to curl my hair instead of getting there 15 minutes early? G U L P...yes, there it was! As I blamed them and they blamed the boy, ultimately it came down to ME! My issues with being late to EVERYTHING! Yet another conviction in this area. But this one not only hurt me, but my son too.

In what area of your life are you playing the blame game? Is there something that keeps popping up over and over again, causing you to give excuses and get angry? Yes? Then it's time to stop pointing the finger...you're trapped in this deceptive game too. The important thing is to recognize that you're part of the problem (it's not always everyone else.) Once you realize you need help in a certain area, then begin to pray and ask the Lord for His help. Break the 'blame game' cycle and take responsibility for your actions, the Lord will guide you in truth as He helps you change.

Tend your vine, water the areas that need it, get rid of the heavy, dead branches that hold it back from growing.

Jonah 4:10 But the Lord said, "You have been concerned about this vine, though you did not tend it or make it grow. It sprang up overnight and died overnight."

Hosea 11:4 "I led them with cords of human kindness, with ties of love; I lifted the yoke from their neck and bent down to feed them."

Hosea 10:12
"Sow for yourselves righteousness, reap the fruit of unfailing love and break up your unplowed ground; for it is time to seek the Lord, until He comes and showers righteousness on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment